APPLYING SHAOLIN PATTERNS CORRECTLY AND SPONTANEOUSLY IN FREE SPARRING
By the courtesy of Ogingo Videography, Sabah, Malaysia.
“Subtraction and Addition” is an excellent method to enable you progress from combat sequences to free sparring. This can be applied at various levels and with much variation. But basically it involves subtracting or adding one or more patterns from or to planned sequences.
Suppose you wish to initiate an attack using Sequence 5 followed by Sequence 9. Instead of executing all the four attack patterns in Sequence 5 — two Fierce Tigers, a Precious Duck and a Golden Star — you may take out one or more attack patterns. Let us say you take out the first and the last attack patterns. Therefore, you execute a Fierce Tiger and a Precious Duch, then continue with Sequence 9.
Now you wish to take out a Black Tiger from Sequence 9. So your attack will now be Fierce Tiger, Precious Duck, Fierce Tiger and Happy Bird.
Next, you may want to add a Poisonous Snake before your first Fierce Tiger, and take away the Precious Duck. So your attack sequence will be Poisonous Snake, Fierce Tiger, Fierce Tiger and Happy Bird.
After you have completed your attack you may repeat the same two sequences with subtraction and addition, or you may add a new sequence with or without subtraction and addition.
At any point your sparring partner may intercept your attack and counter-attack. You would decide whether to break his counter-attack and carry on the initiative, or allow him to attack and respond accordingly.
The videos below show the participants at the Sabah Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course are able to use typical Shaolin patterns correctly and spontaneously in their free sparring. The secret behind this remarkable achievement is “Subtraction and Addition”.
It is heartening to note that the participants range from fresh beginners like Dr Roseline and Bernadette to advanced practitioners like Dr Damian, Sifu Jamie and Mahmood, who is a national Taekwondo champion from Saudi Arabia. They help one another and have much fun.
PLEASE NOTE: You can download the video clip onto your own computer and view them at your leisure. Place your computer pointer at the picture or one of the links, and right click. Choose “Save Target As”. Select the directory or sub-directory where you wish to keep the video clip. Click “Save”.
We wish to thank Mr Godfery Kissey of Ogingo Videography, Penampang, Sabah, Malaysia for kindly provideing us with the videos. (Godfery is also a member of our Shaolin Wahnam Family.) His telephone number is 60-88-731788, and e-mail address is email@example.com .
Review of the Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course in Sabah in March 2007
- Overview 1 : The Fundamentals
- Overview 2 : The 16 Combat Sequences
- Overview 3 : Are They Performing Kungfu Dance?
- The Basics of Shaolin Kungfu Training
- Fundamental Combat Skills
- Defeat you Hand to your Opponent, Victory you Create Yourself
- Avoiding Disadvantages and Seeking Advantages
- Basic Principles and Tactics of Combat
- Skills derived from Sparring can be Rewardingly used in Daily Life
- Some Secrets in Practicing Genuine Kungfu
Various Ways to Move into an Opponent
- Applying Combat Sequences in Sparring
- Linking Sequences to be More Combat Efficient
- The Secrets of Continuous Cannons
- The Mechanics of Continuation
- Marvelous Techniques Beget Marvelous Techniques
- Perfecting Forms and Developing Force
- Applying Tactics in Combat
Objectives of Form Training in Solo
- Being Fluent in Kicking Techniques before Applying them in Combat
- Using Tactics in Kicking Attacks and Defences
- Different Levels of Sophistication in Sparring and Fighting
- The Legacy of Uncle Righteousness: Secret of Continuous Cannons and their Counters
Benefiting from the Experiences and Teachings of Past Masters
- Poetic Patterns Can be Very Deadly
- Moving Back One Step when in Diffiuclt Situations
- Linking Sequences to Form a Kungfu Set
- Felling Techniques in Kungfu are Different from Judo and Wrestling
- Butterfly Palms and Hiding Flowers are Excellent in Countering Felling and Gripping Attacks
Let Mercy Flow from the Hands
- Benefits of Solo Set Practice — Combat Sequences 13 to 16
- From Pre-Choice Sequences to Free Sparring
- Allying Shaolin Patterns Correctly and Spontaneously in Free Sparring
- Shaolin Kungfu against Boxing and Kick-Boxing
- Shaolin Counters against Wrestling Shoots
- The Secret of Grandmaster Ho Fatt Nam
- Why Shaolin Kungfu is Technically Faster than Boxing
- Shaolin Techniques, Tactics and Strategies against Boxing
- Revealing Secrets of Past Taijiquan Masters
- Overwhelming Opponents with Just One Pattern
- Poetry and Elegance in Effective Combat