SHAOLIN KUNGFU AGAINST BOXING AND KICK-BOXING
By the courtesy of Ogingo Videography, Sabah, Malaysia.
Nowadays almost irrespective of what they practice, most martial artists spar like Boxers and Kick-Boxers. Hence, if you wish to be combat-efficient in Shaolin Kungfu, you must be able to apply it against Boxing and Kick-Boxing.
“Know yourself and know your opponent, and you will win a hundred battles out of a hundred battles,” advised the great military strategist, Sun Tzi'. One of the great advantages Shaolin Kungfu has over Boxing and Kick-Boxing is its wide range of techniques. There are many attack techniques in kungfu where a Boxer or a Kick-Boxer would not have counters from his art. If you can apply these techniques systematically against a Boxer or a Kick-Boxer, you would have a good chance of winning. An excellent strategy is to use a chosen sequence to press in against a Boxer.
Unlike in the Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course of October 2006 where all the participants were already familiar with the 16 Basic Combat Sequences before they attended the course, and hence there was more time for Grandmaster Wong to teach Shaolin combat against other martial art, in the Sabah course participants were asked to work out their own techniques and tactics against Boxers and Kick-Boxers. It was learning from direct experience.
As shown in the videos below, the participants did quite well, especially after Grandmaster Wong demonstrated using Sequence 10 to press in against a Boxer posed by George. Amongst the participants there were a few experienced Boxers, like Mark from Engand and Paul from Ireland.
Against Kick-Boxers, Grandmaster Wong recommended two strategies. One was to press in with a planned sequence after avoiding their kicks. The other was to fell them onto the ground after their kicks.
PLEASE NOTE: You can download the video clip onto your own computer and view them at your leisure. Place your computer pointer at the picture or one of the links, and right click. Choose “Save Target As”. Select the directory or sub-directory where you wish to keep the video clip. Click “Save”.
We wish to thank Mr Godfery Kissey of Ogingo Videography, Penampang, Sabah, Malaysia for kindly provideing us with the videos. (Godfery is also a member of our Shaolin Wahnam Family.) His telephone number is 60-88-731788, and e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org .
Review of the Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course in Sabah in March 2007
- Overview 1 : The Fundamentals
- Overview 2 : The 16 Combat Sequences
- Overview 3 : Are They Performing Kungfu Dance?
- The Basics of Shaolin Kungfu Training
- Fundamental Combat Skills
- Defeat you Hand to your Opponent, Victory you Create Yourself
- Avoiding Disadvantages and Seeking Advantages
- Basic Principles and Tactics of Combat
- Skills derived from Sparring can be Rewardingly used in Daily Life
- Some Secrets in Practicing Genuine Kungfu
Various Ways to Move into an Opponent
- Applying Combat Sequences in Sparring
- Linking Sequences to be More Combat Efficient
- The Secrets of Continuous Cannons
- The Mechanics of Continuation
- Marvelous Techniques Beget Marvelous Techniques
- Perfecting Forms and Developing Force
- Applying Tactics in Combat
Objectives of Form Training in Solo
- Being Fluent in Kicking Techniques before Applying them in Combat
- Using Tactics in Kicking Attacks and Defences
- Different Levels of Sophistication in Sparring and Fighting
- The Legacy of Uncle Righteousness: Secret of Continuous Cannons and their Counters
Benefiting from the Experiences and Teachings of Past Masters
- Poetic Patterns Can be Very Deadly
- Moving Back One Step when in Diffiuclt Situations
- Linking Sequences to Form a Kungfu Set
- Felling Techniques in Kungfu are Different from Judo and Wrestling
- Butterfly Palms and Hiding Flowers are Excellent in Countering Felling and Gripping Attacks
Let Mercy Flow from the Hands
- Benefits of Solo Set Practice — Combat Sequences 13 to 16
- From Pre-Choice Sequences to Free Sparring
- Applying Shaolin Patterns Correctly and Spontaneously in Free Sparring
- Shaolin Kungfu against Boxing and Kick-Boxing
- Shaolin Counters against Wrestling Shoots
- The Secret of Grandmaster Ho Fatt Nam
- Why Shaolin Kungfu is Technically Faster than Boxing
- Shaolin Techniques, Tactics and Strategies against Boxing
- Revealing Secrets of Past Taijiquan Masters
- Overwhelming Opponents with Just One Pattern
- Poetry and Elegance in Effective Combat