LEARNING ALL ABOUT LION DANCE AND DRUMMING IN JUST ONE COURSE
Personally conducted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
from 13th to 19th June 2019
- To preserve and pass on the art of Lion Dance and Drumming as part of kungfu legacy.
- To enable kungfu practitioners of any style, including instructors and masters, to incorporate Lion Dance in their schools if so desired.
- To understand the history and significance of Lion Dance in kungfu culture.
- To be able to perform the Lion Head and the Lion Tail.
- To be able to play the drum, the cymbals and the gong in Lion Dance music.
- To understand and perform traditional Lion Dance formations.
- Historical background and significance of Lion Dance in kungfu culture.
- Basic traditional Lion Dance techniques and performance.
- Basic techniques in playing the drum, the cymbals and the gong in Lion Dance music.
- Arrangement and interpretation of Lion Dance formations and their meaning.
- Rhythm, tone and expression in Lion Dance.
- Lion Dance as a mean to develop kungfu skills.
- Have a better understanding of Lion Dance in kungfu culture.
- Be able to better appreciate Lion Dance and to tell a good performance from a bad one.
- Have a better appreciation and control of emotions.
- Enhance kungfu skills like breath control, fluidity of movements, agility and solidness, mental clarity and relaxation.
- Enhance qualities like carefulness, cheerfulness and courage.
1st day — Arrival
- 2nd day — Training 8.00 a.m. to 11.00 noon, and 3.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m., Welcoming dinner 8.00 p.m. to 10.30 p.m.
- 3rd day — Training 8.00 a.m. to 10.00 noon, and 4.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- 4th day — Training 8.00 a.m. to 10.00 noon, and 4.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- 5th day — Training 8.00 a.m. to 10.00 noon, and 4.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- 6rd day — Training 8.00 a.m. to 11.00 noon, 3.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m, Graduation dinner 8.00 p.m. to 10.30 p.m.
- 7th day — Departure
The welcoming dinner and the graduation dinner are complimentary. Family members who come with you are invited to the dinners, but please inform the Secretary on the first day of the course to ensure that places are reserved. Places will not be availabel for those who fail to inform the secretary beforehand.
1800 euros per participant to be sent to the Secretary before the course, or paid by cash on the first day of the course.
If any course participant is not satisfied with the course, he or she can ask for a full refund and it will be refunded without question. But this must be done before the end of the course. Once the course is over, it is deem that all those who have completed the course are satisfied, and no refund will be given after that.
Applicants must have some prior kungfu experience. They must be able to perform unarmed kungfu patterns and footwork reasonably well.
Both current Shaolin Wahnam members (including instructors) and non-Shaolin Wahnam members may apply for this course. After the course, the latter may choose to be associate Shaolin Wahnam members while continuing to practice or teach their own styles, or not be associated with Shaolin Wahnam at all, but they have to be abided by the Ten Shaolin Laws. Those at instructor's level and above are free to teach what they have learnt in this course in their own systems if they wish and if they are competent to do so.
From our perspective, Lion Dance is not just for demonstration. Its practice can enhance qualities like ability to relax while performing vigorous actions, fluidity of movement, stamina, mental clarity, carefulness, cheerfulness and courage, which are not only beneficial for kungfu training but also for our daily living. Participants will learn and practice these qualities at the course.
As it normally takes many months to learn Lion Dance and Drumming, those not familiar with our Shaolin Wahnam methodology may wonder how one could effectively do so in a seven-day course. Of course this can be done — otherwise the course will not be offered. The teaching will be methodical and systematic, but paticipants have to work very hard.
Nevertheless, no one can be proficient in Lion Dance or Drumming by merely attaining an intensive course. The purpose of the course is to provide you with fundamental knowledge, skills and techniques; subsequent diligent practice is necessary. The main lessons of the course will be videoed, and a complimentary copy will be given to you to help you in your own practice.
Apply to The Secretary , stating:
- the name of this course, i.e. Intensive Shaolin Kungfu Course
- your full name
- your sex and age
- your occupation
- your e-mail address
- your postal address
- your phone and fax numbers, if any
- your health problems (briefly), if any
- your kungfu style(s) and experience
- your attainent level, e.g. instructor, master, grandmaster
If you are accepted, details will be e-mailed to you.
You do not have to pay any application or booking fees. The course fee of 1800 euros (which is the only fee you have to pay) is payable during the course only if you are satisfied.
One essential condition is required for participating in this course, and that is to uphold and practice the Ten Shaolin Laws. Please read and understand the Ten Shaolin Laws carefully. Application for the course is taken to be an indication that you have accepted this condition
Food and Accommodation
You have to pay for your own food and accommodation. You can have your meals or stay wherever you like. But it is recommended that you ask our Secretary to book accommodation for you for better co-ordination.