BAGUAZHANG -- OVERVIEW
Frederick Chu -- Shaolin Wabnam USA
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Baguazhang
- The Development of Baguazhang
- Inheritance of Past Masters
- Developing Baguazhang Force
- Green Dragon Tests Claw
- Green Dragon Tests Claw in Motion
- Circle Walking
- Continuous Circle Walking
- Walking the Circle in Stance Forms
- Black Tortoise Circle Walking
- Eight Mother Palms Stance Training
- Trees, Weights and Poles
- Going Through Woods
- Lightness Skills
- Supplementing the Circle
- Building the Bagua Body
- Yin Fu's Medical System
- Shaolin Kung Fu
- Manifesting Force
- Hitting Objects
- Brains as well as Brawn
- Palms like Iron, Blades of Steel
- Evolution of Dong Hai Chuan's Tradition
- Sun Lutang
- Taiwan and Beyond
- State of Baguazhang in 2018
- Baguazhang as Practised in the Shaolin Wahnam Institute
- Eight Mother Palms
- Single Change Palm
- Double Change Palm
- Examples of Side-Body and Back-Body kicks
- Smooth Flow Palm
- Back Body Palm
- Turn Body Palm
- Circle Body Palm
- Rotate Body Palm
- Return Body Palm
- Swimming Dragon
- The future of Baguazhang
Please click the chapters to view the webpages
- Baguazhang and its Inheritance
- Baguazhang Force and Green Dragon Tests Claw
- Baguazhang Circle Walking
- Mother Palms, Going through Woods, Lightness Skill, Bagua Body, Medical System
- Kungfu, Force, Philosophy and Weapons
- Baguazhang Then and Now
- Eight Mother Palms and Individual Palms
- Swimming Dragon and Future of Baguazhang
If you wish to read all of what Dr Frederick Chu has researched, please click here.
I would like to take a moment to thank the following people who provided their knowledge and recommendations in the form of peer review, perhaps the most important aspect of a research paper besides the research itself.
Fabienne Burri, of no house but her own.
Fang Jun, Shaolin Wahnam Singapore.
David Langford, Legacy Shaolin.
Alvin Lim, Ma Weiqi Baguazhang.
Kristian Staev, Shaolin Wahnam Maine.
1. Allen, F., et al. (2007). Whirling Circles of Ba Gua
Zhang. Blue Snake Books.
2. Croucher, et al. (1983). The Way of the Warrior: Tai Chi, the Soft Way. BBC. [televised documentary].
3. Gao, Jiwu. (2009). The 64 Hands of Bagua Zhang: Fighting Techniques of Liu Dekuan. Blue Snake Books.
4. Guo, Shilei. (2013). Ma Weiqi Baguazhang. Baguamaweiqi. Accessed from https://sites.google.com/site/baguamaweiqi/. 2018 December 23.
5. Howard, K., et al. (2009). Bagua Linked Palms. Blue Snake Books.
6. Howard, K., et al. (2011). Bagua Swimming Body Palms. Blue Snake Books.
7. Liang, Shouyu, et al. (2006). The Essence of Baguazhang - Translation of Ancient Secrets - Baguazhang Thirty Six and Forty Eight Songs. Shou-yu Liang Wushu Taiji Qigong Institute. Accessed from http://www.shouyuliang.com/newsletters/2006 - September-October - the-Essence of Baguazhang - Translation of Ancient Secrets - Baguazhang. 2018 December 23.
8. Lim, Alvin. (2013 - 2018). Personal correspondence.
9. Lin, Wei-Chung. (2012). Personal correspondence.
10. Nugent-Head,Andrew,etal.(2013).64 Attack Methods. Association for Traditional Studies.
11. Park, Bok Nam, et al. (1998). The Fundamentals of Pa Kua Chang: the Methods of Lu Shui-T'ien as Taught by Park Bok Nam, Vol I. High View Pubns.
12. Park, Bok Nam, et al. (2005). The Fundamentals of Pa Kua Chang: the Methods of Lu Shui-T'ien as Taught by Park Bok Nam, Vol I. High View Pubns.
13. Parker,Dexter.(2013-2017). Personal correspondence.
14. Szymanski, J. (2001). Interview with Mr. Ma Chuanxu, Liang Style Baguazhang Expert from Beijing andPresident of the Beijing Baguazhang Research Association. China From Inside. Accessed from http://www.chinafrominside.com/ma/bagua/machuanxu.html. 2018 December 23.
15. Wong, Kiew Kit. (2013). Baguazhang review. Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit's Home Page on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan), and Zen. Accessed from https://shaolin.org/video-clips-9/baguazhang/review.html. 2018 December 23.
16. Wong,KiewKit.(2013).Questions on Baguazhang. Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit's Home Page on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan), and Zen. Accessed from https://shaolin.org.
17. Wong,KiewKit.(2011-2018).Personal correspondence.
18. Wong,KiewKit.(2002).The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu. Tuttle Martial Arts.
19. Wong,KiewKit.(2002).The Complete Book of Shaolin. Cosmos.
20. Wong, Yuen-Ming. (2008). Bagua Zhang - Accessed from Bai Yucai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OncS_54yMvw. 2018 Dec 23.
21. Xie,Peiqi.(2013). Yin Style Baguazhang Lion System. Plum Flower Press.[DVD].
22. Yang, Jwing Ming, et al. (2008). Baguazhang: Theory and Applications. Ymaa Publication Center.
23. Yang, Jwing Ming, et al. (1981). Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu. Unique Literary Books of the World.
24. Zhen, Lin Chao, et al. (2010). Fu Zhen Song's Dragon Bagua Zhang. Blue Snake Books.
Aventura, Florida, United States of America
2019 March 14