APPLYING STRATEGIES AND TACTICS IN EFFECTING CHIN-NA TECHNIQUES
The first few of the Shaolin Seven Two Chin-Na Techniques are simple, making use of the Single Tiger Claw or the Double Tiger Claws to hold and grip an opponent's arm, using patterns like “Single Tiger Emerges from Cave”, “Black Tiger Cleanses Claw”, “Lead Horse Back to Stable” and “Old Eagle Catches Snake”.
As in many of our Shaolin Wahnam teachings, simple does not mean easy or ineffective. Indeed, because they are both simple to apply and effective in subduing opponents that these patterns are widely used.
But merely applying the techniques may not result in effective application. In other words, if you just attempt to grip opponents' arms using these techniques, the opponents can easily avoid your grips. You have to work out suitable strategies and tactics so that holding and gripping their arms become a logical consequence.
A good strategy is to let them attack you, and a good tactic is to follow their momentum. Then holding and gripping their arms become easy.
You can read first-hand accounts of the Special Chin-Na Course by Zhang Wuji from his posts in the Shaolin Wahnam Discussion Forum by clicking here .
Please click on the pictures or their captions to view the videos.
Please note: you can download the video clips onto your own computer and view them at your leisure. Enter the webpage (not this one) where the selected video clip can be downloaded. Place your computer pointer at the picture or one of the links, and right click. Choose “Save Target As”. Select the directory or sub-directory where you wish to keep the video clip. Click “Save”.
Some Simple Chin-Na Techniques
|Single Tiger Emerges from Cave||Single Tiger Emerges from Cave||Old Eagle Catches Snake|
|Chin-Na Counters||Lead Horse Back to Stable|
|Black Tiger and Golden Dragon||Chin-Na Counters|
We would like to express our thanks to Dr Damian, Dr Roseline and Bernadette from Shaolin Wahnam Sabah for making these videos, and Godfery Kissey of Ogingo Videography, Penampang, Sabah, Malaysia (telephone number: 60-88-731788, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for providing the video equipment.
Glimpses of Special Chin-Na Course
- Importance of Mind Training and Force Development
- Applying Strategies and Tactics in Effecting Chin-Na Techniques
- More Sophisticated Chin-Na Techniques
- Following the Opponent's Momentum in Chin-Na Attacks and Counters
- How to Subdue an Opponent with Chin-Na even when he Knows the Counter
- Chin-Na Techniques for Dislocating Wrists
- Some Examples of Chin-Na Combat Sequences
- Marvelous Techniques Beget Marvelous Techniques
- Three Points of Time to Counter Chin-Na Attacks
- Countering Sophisticated Chin-Na Techniques
- Successful Application of Chin-Na Attacks and Three Points of Counters
- Good Timing and Good Spacing
- Close-Body Fighting and Rapid Punches
- Listening to Winds and Catching Goats