THREE POINTS OF TIME TO COUNTER CHIN-NA ATTACKS
The numerous different points of time when counters against chin-na techniques (or any techniques) are implemented may be classified into three broad categories, namely initial point, mid-point and end-point.
In each of the two chin-na combat sequences, namely “Golden Boy Worships Buddha” and “Golden Cockerel Locks Throat”, the same chin-na technique is applied three times, and the responder counters it at the initial-point, the mid-point and the end-point.
For example, in the first attack of “Golden Boy Worships Buddha”, the counter “Jade Girl Kicks Shuttle” is implemented at end-point when the chin-na grip has been established. In the second attack, the counter “Crow Flaps Wings” is executed at mind-point, when the chin-na attack is still in process. In the third attack, the counter “Cannon Punch Towards Sky” is implemented at end-point, when the attack is just started.
However, to enable participants see the complete process of the chin-na attack, the counters at initial-point and mid-point are purposely delayed. In the final video clip, for example, the responder could execute his counter to “Golden Cockerel Locks Throat” with a pattern like “Naughty Monkey Kicks Tree” as soon as the attacker moves in to fell the responder, but he allows the attack to continue so that others can see the whole process of the chin-na attack.
You can read first-hand accounts of the Special Chin-Na Course by Zhang Wuji from his posts in the Shaolin Wahnam Discussion Forum by clicking here .
Please click on the pictures or their captions to view the videos.
Please note: you can download the video clips onto your own computer and view them at your leisure. Enter the webpage (not this one) where the selected video clip can be downloaded. Place your computer pointer at the picture or one of the links, and right click. Choose “Save Target As”. Select the directory or sub-directory where you wish to keep the video clip. Click “Save”.
|Golden Boy Worships Buddha||Cannon Punch Towards Sky||Golden Boy Worships Buddha|
|Golden Cockerel Locks Throat||Wu Zong Loosens Muscles||Organ-Seeking Kick|
|Golden Cockerel Locks Throat||Golden Cockerel Locks Throat|
We would like to express our thanks to Dr Damian, Dr Roseline and Bernadette from Shaolin Wahnam Sabah for making these videos, and Godfery Kissey of Ogingo Videography, Penampang, Sabah, Malaysia (telephone number: 60-88-731788, e-mail email@example.com for providing the video equipment.
Glimpses of Special Chin-Na Course
- Importance of Mind Training and Force Development
- Applying Strategies and Tactics in Effecting Chin-Na Techniques
- More Sophisticated Chin-Na Techniques
- Following the Opponent's Momentum in Chin-Na Attacks and Counters
- How to Subdue an Opponent with Chin-Na even when he Knows the Counter
- Chin-Na Techniques for Dislocating Wrists
- Some Examples of Chin-Na Combat Sequences
- Marvelous Techniques Beget Marvelous Techniques
- Three Points of Time to Counter Chin-Na Attacks
- Countering Sophisticated Chin-Na Techniques
- Successful Application of Chin-Na Attacks and Three Points of Counters
- Good Timing and Good Spacing
- Close-Body Fighting and Rapid Punches
- Listening to Winds and Catching Goats